City of Lakes AmeriCorps offers an intense intervention to LTEL (Long-Term English Learner) middle school students. These services fall into three main categories: Tutoring and Support, After School Programs, and Parent Connection.
Tutoring and Support (led by full-time Academic Coaches)
• Full-time Academic Coaches support in an English Language Development class that is led by a licensed teacher. Members work with small groups of students within the classroom.
• This class utilizes English 3D curriculum, which may be supplemented as the teacher sees fit.
• Members and teacher regularly check in regarding progress of students and current academic goals.
• Additionally, members support caseload students in other content classes and prompt the use of academic language throughout the school day.
Parent Connection (led by full-time Academic Coaches)
• 2 or more positive parental contacts per month
• Quarterly parent nights organized and led by CoL members
After School Programs (led by part-time Youth Workers)
• Goal to involve middle school students, particularly LTELs, in at least 2 days per week of social-emotional learning opportunitunies during out-of-school-time programming
• Members lead classes open to all students attending on-site after school programs
• Academic Support, Enrichment options (determined by youth voice & choice) and Homework Help are other options for the after school time
Community Engagement (led by part-time Youth Workers)
City of Lakes AmeriCorps is a program of Minneapolis Community Education
1250 W Broadway Avenue, Minneapolis MN 55411